Contact Us 619-589-8800


Insurance Claims Should Be Tendered Promptly

Posted by Bradley Schuber | Oct 26, 2015 | 0 Comments

In California, homeowner associations generally have a duty to purchase and maintain insurance policies to protect against a variety of risks. Most if not all insurance policies require their insureds to give prompt notice of a potential or actual claim. The language of the insurance policy typically places a contractual obligation on the homeowner association to “immediately” or “promptly” notify the insurance carrier. The concern is that if a potential or actual claim is not promptly tendered that the homeowner association will face a risk of loss of coverage under the insurance policy. As a general rule, it is the best practice to tender potential and actual claims as soon as possible.

However, it is also important to note that a failure to promptly notify an insurance carrier of a potential or actual claim is not necessarily fatal to obtaining coverage. Moreover, the meaning typically given to “immediate” or “prompt” notification is that notice must be given within a reasonable amount of time under the circumstances. In addition, if the insurance policy is an “occurrence” or a “claims-made” policy, then California courts have generally required the insurance carrier to demonstrate that they have suffered actual prejudice in order to avoid their contractual duties under the insurance policy.

If your homeowner association is facing a potential or actual claim triggering insurance, then we recommend consulting with the homeowner association's legal counsel and insurance broker (or agent) promptly to assist in tendering the claim.

About the Author

Bradley Schuber

Senior Associate Practice Areas: Community Association Counsel Construction Litigation Civil Litigation Brad Schuber is a Senior Associate with the Kriger Law Firm, APC, and is licensed to practice law in the states of California and New York. He is also admitted to practice in the United State...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Comments have been disabled.


Kriger Law Firm is committed to answering your questions about Community Association General Counsel, Governing Document Revisions, Alternative Dispute Resolution, CC & R Enforcement Litigation, and Common Interest Development law issues in California.

We'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.

The materials appearing on this website are provided for informational use only. They are in no way intended to constitute legal advice or the opinions of this law firm or any of its attorneys. You should not act or rely upon any information appearing on this website without seeking the advice of an attorney. Also, because the law is continually changing, the materials appearing on this website are not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up-to-date.

Transmission and receipt of the information on the Kriger Law Firm website are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship, nor will the act of sending an e-mail to attorneys at Kriger Law Firm create an attorney-client relationship. Thus, we strongly advise against sending confidential or privileged information to us until you can establish such a relationship. Furthermore, we advise against sending privileged or confidential information through e-mail since we can in no way ensure the security of your e-mail.

Some jurisdictions would consider the materials appearing on this website to constitute advertising. The decision to hire a lawyer should not be based on the written information appearing on this website about the qualifications and experience of this firm and its members.

Links that may appear on this site are intended solely for your convenience in identifying and accessing other sources of information and are not to be construed as being endorsed by or affiliated with our office. Furthermore, Kriger Law Firm does not imply that it is legally authorized to use any trade name, registered trademark, symbol, logo, or seal that may be reflected in any of these links. Kriger Law Firm has sought to comply with all legal and ethical requirements in creating this website. Kriger Law Firm in no way seeks to use this website in any way as to represent anyone in a state where this site may fail to comply with the laws and ethical requirements of that state.