Contact Us 619-589-8800

Court Actions

If the assessment lien process does not result in payment of the delinquent assessments and it does not make sense for the association to foreclose the assessment lien (when, for instance, the homeowner has abandoned the property or lost it to bank foreclosure), then an association must consider filing a lawsuit.  A court action may be commenced in the Superior Court, or in the Small Claims Court under limited circumstances.  There are a number of factors to consider when choosing between filing a court action in the Superior Court or in the Small Claims Court.

The main factor is the amount at stake.  An action may be commenced in Superior Court for any amount.  The filing fees vary depending upon the amount at stake.  There are significant advantages to filing in Superior Court.  The greatest advantage is that the association is represented by a lawyer in Superior Court.  Another is that the homeowner is more likely to default in Superior Court, because it is expensive to file a response to the lawsuit.  An additional advantage is that the judges in Superior Court are knowledgeable and understand homeowners association law as well as bankruptcy and lender foreclosure issues.  A third advantage to filing in Superior Court is that making a claim for attorney's fees for the costs associated with the lawsuit is easier in Small Claims Court, the process is supposed to be conducted without attorneys, so making a claim for attorney's fees is difficult.  Also in Superior Court, service of process may be obtained by publication if necessary.

In Small Claims Court, an association is limited to two actions of between $2,500 and $5,000 in damages per calendar year.  There is no limit to the number of actions that can be filed for $2,500 or less.  The filing fee is less than in Superior Court, but so too is the filing fee of answering the Small Claims Court complaint.  Attorneys are not allowed in Small Claims Court, so if the judge does not understand the issues, the association has to try to explain the situation without the benefit of speaking the judge's language.

There are appeals in Small Claims Court, but only the defendant can appeal.  And while attorneys are required to be used by the association in the appeal (held in the Superior Court), the attorney's fees that can be recovered are limited by statute to $150 (yes, that is not a typographical error).

Click here for a Court Actions Flow Chart showing the processes of court actions in the two different courts.


Kriger Law Firm is committed to answering your questions about Community Association General Counsel, Governing Document Revisions, Alternative Dispute Resolution, CC & R Enforcement Litigation, and Common Interest Development law issues in California.

We'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.

The materials appearing on this website are provided for informational use only. They are in no way intended to constitute legal advice or the opinions of this law firm or any of its attorneys. You should not act or rely upon any information appearing on this website without seeking the advice of an attorney. Also, because the law is continually changing, the materials appearing on this website are not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up-to-date.

Transmission and receipt of the information on the Kriger Law Firm website are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship, nor will the act of sending an e-mail to attorneys at Kriger Law Firm create an attorney-client relationship. Thus, we strongly advise against sending confidential or privileged information to us until you can establish such a relationship. Furthermore, we advise against sending privileged or confidential information through e-mail since we can in no way ensure the security of your e-mail.

Some jurisdictions would consider the materials appearing on this website to constitute advertising. The decision to hire a lawyer should not be based on the written information appearing on this website about the qualifications and experience of this firm and its members.

Links that may appear on this site are intended solely for your convenience in identifying and accessing other sources of information and are not to be construed as being endorsed by or affiliated with our office. Furthermore, Kriger Law Firm does not imply that it is legally authorized to use any trade name, registered trademark, symbol, logo, or seal that may be reflected in any of these links. Kriger Law Firm has sought to comply with all legal and ethical requirements in creating this website. Kriger Law Firm in no way seeks to use this website in any way as to represent anyone in a state where this site may fail to comply with the laws and ethical requirements of that state.